In 1831 a minister of the Disciples of Christ, Adamson Bentley came to the area and bought land at the junction of the Aurora Branch and Chagrin River. He built a sawmill and a gristmill, and in 1836 a clothing store. He had disciples meetings in a log schoolhouse. Others built a Triphammer shop, a tannery shop, and developed a stone quarry, chair and rake factories, and shops and stores. One of the important early settlers was Ralph Russell, founder of the North Union Shaker community in 1822.
In 1928, various proposals were suggested by the village of Chagrin Falls to annex all of Chagrin Falls Township. Some residents, opposed to the annexation, wanted to separate and join Moreland Hills. However, another group of citizens circulated petitions for the formation of another village, voted to secede, and created Bentleyville, a separate incorporated village, in 1929.
The village has come a long way since its inception. Bentleyville is now a part of Chagrin Falls School District and shares its land with the South Chagrin Reservation. Homes in Bentleyville, OH are normally low in inventory and up-scale, luxury homes. See all there is to see in Bentleyville, Ohio.